Friday, June 13, 2014

Week 3 and 4

Well week 3 and for have been a lot less hectic than my first two weeks. The first two consisted of days where I was in and out of the office non-stop. It was very interesting and I enjoyed it. Things started slowing down in the 3rd week and it gave me a good taste of what the jobs around the office were. I had some simple tasks such as filing and organizing. I also got to see how to analyze soil samples on the computer. We had a few that needed to be mailed out so I got to watch how to observe and calculate what to recommend.
I did get out of the office last week to go to the Anderson County Extension Office and met their agriculture agent. We spent the morning before lunch starting to plan a trip to Oregon for the Cattleman’s Association. We made phone calls to businesses, farms and tourist hot spots to see if we could reserve a visit. We studied the map to plan the best route for the trip also. Wednesday morning, we went over to Franklin County High School and cooked breakfast for the welding class. They were generous enough to build us a trailer grill to take to events. So we showed our gratitude by cooking them a meal. They were very appreciative.

During week 4 we needed to plan out more things for the Farm City Field Day. We took a trip out to the farm where it was located with an aerial map of the farm. We drove around locating the best places for booths, the meal and the route for the tractors. It takes a lot of coordination to plan out such a big event. I will have my own booth their as my project, so I had a lot of research to do. So I spent some time at the desk during the week. 

Ben Mefford

No comments:

Post a Comment