Monday, June 16, 2014

Weeks 1&2

This summer I am one of the two interns in Pike County. For my internship I am working with Stephanie Richards, the Fine Arts agent here in Pikeville.

Week 1
I was super nervous my first day, but all my worries were for nothing. Everyone here at the Pike County office is so nice! My first day was pretty slow- I got a tour of the office and was introduced to everyone and then I burned CDs of a previous show for the volunteers at the Actors Collaborative Theatre in Elkhorn City. The rest of the week went at a much faster pace, though. I started brainstorming and researching for a few projects that I will hopefully get to do later this summer. I went to a rehearsal for ACT's up coming show, Rex's Exes. I got to see one of the last performances of ACT's production of Little Shop of Horrors (it was amazing!). I worked on fundraising/sponsorship packets and wrote several articles. I met the awesome people running the Raging Rapid Art Gallery in Elkhorn City.

Week 2
My second week started off with a staff meeting where everyone talked about what they had been working on and what they had coming up. I started planning a summer arts camp with my fellow Pike County intern, Chelsea Workman, who has been working with the Family Resource Center directors. Chelsea is planning on doing something with food art and I will be teaching a ceramics class. This week I also went to several of the Hatfield and McCoy sites in Pike County with the Fine Arts Assistants Lauren Stewart and Kristy Porter as well as about a dozen volunteers from ACT who were taking pictures in costumes to promote Pike County tourism as well as their up coming production of Blood Song: The Story of the Hatfields & the McCoys at the Hatfield & McCoy Outdoor Theatre in McCarr, KY. I met with people at the Arts House, which is a gallery, shop, and studios all rolled into one. I spent the afternoon of Friday, June 13th, with them and plan to go back to help out this Friday.

Meredith Yount, Pike County

No comments:

Post a Comment