Thursday, June 12, 2014

Weeks 3 and 4

I can't believe how fast the past two weeks have flown by. I'm already 4 weeks in and still enjoying it just as much. My agent has been taking days off the past two weeks, so shes only been in the office a day or two. We started the 3 week with a homemakers picnic at the park.
The picnic consisted of their business meeting, a gift exchange game, and lunch. For the meeting portion, I had prepared a small summary of the Plate It Up campaign, and my experience in school with it. The ladies loved hearing about the work put into the recipes and where they came from. For the picnic, it was a potluck and brought the Plate It Up Strawberry Salsa recipe. The ladies had a fun day, and I enjoyed getting to be apart.

Since Mrs. Vicki was out of town, I joined Devin, the intern at McCracken County for some of her programs. We went to a diabetes support group that attended a silver sneakers class, and taught a after school program at an elementary school where we made butter from cream! The rest of my week was spent in the office. I did some organizing of our new shipments of SNAP-ED materials, and started inventorying the kitchen for the remodel they are planning later this summer.

This week, the 4H group headed off to 4H camp. I was asked to teach the cooking class on Tuesday, and assist Fulton Counties agent in teaching on Wednesday. So, Monday was spent finalizing my lesson plans for that, running to walmart for supplies, and baking cookies for the fruit pizza they would make. We went up Tuesday morning for the class. They kids loved squishing strawberries for strawberry lemonade, and decorating their own fruit pizzas. We played a fruit facts game, and those little kids get pretty competitive!
I headed back home exhausted, and got ready to do it again the next day. Wednesday, Fulton Counties agent made fruit pies! The kids got to use knives and cut their own apples and peaches and mix some sugar and spices up to put on top. The kids were very excited to use knives, and the pies smelled delicious!

After two days at 4H camp I was exhausted, and I can't imagine how the leaders feel being their all week!

The last of this week I will go back with Devin to teach the after school program. We are bringing the fruit pizza lesson, and talking about the importance of fruit in your diet. The kids are wild since its summer, and they love any type of snack we bring.

It has been a great two weeks, and I can't wait to see what the rest of my internship holds.
Emily Northcutt

No comments:

Post a Comment