Saturday, June 14, 2014

Day Camp and Kids and New Friends....Oh My! Weeks 1 & 2!

     This summer, I am interning at the Floyd County Extension Office. I am from Pikeville, so I was thankfully able to stay pretty close to home. I am completing the first half of my internship under Floyd County's 4-H agent, Heather Nelson and the second half under the FCS agent, Theresa Scott. So far, the best word I can describe my experience is busy.

Week 1

     As I traveled to the office on my first day, I was so nervous that I almost sat in my car and had a heart attack....almost. I was thankfully able to pull myself together, though, and go in. I was greeted by Heather and given a tour of the office and was introduced to the others who worked there - I was beginning to feel much better. After that, it was off to work! We began organizing stuff for Floyd County's Day Camp (Weird Science themed) that would begin in a couple of weeks. I learned that day that I, along with Brandy (the 4-H assistant) and McKenzie (the Lawrence County intern), would be running Martin County's Day camp the following week. My second day, we traveled to Martin County to meet with Joe (Martin County 4-H agent) and Caryn (Lawrence County) to plan and prepare activities and lessons for Martin County Day Camp.
     The rest of the week was mostly preparing for day camp and helping Heather get everything for teen conference. I did get to meet the Quilt Guild and have lunch with them, which I really enjoyed....they were so sweet!

     Oh, remember how I said that it was busy? I got to work a Saturday during my very first week! I drove a couple of teens to Lawrence County for the Teen Counselor Training for 4-H Camp  .

Week 2





   Each day of week two, Brandy and I left Bright and early to head to Martin County....it was time for Day Camp! We met so many great kids! I even became pals with a little girl who is deaf. I know minimal sign language, so I wouldn't have imagined it could be so easy, but we just clicked! The second day of week two, I got to teach a lesson on "The Original Fast Foods: Fruits and Vegetables". I had got a variety of odd fruits and allowed the campers to try them....some were even brave enough to try the eggplant, although it wasn't a favorite of many. During the week, we were able to do many crafts with the kids and play a lot of fun games with them. As we left the last day, I was having to hold back tears...I will really miss them.
     I also attended my first CEC (Cooperative Extension Council) Meeting this week. It was a lot less boring that you may expect. Everyone was so welcoming and I actually enjoyed being there!

     Next week starts our day camp! We head off to Prestonsburg Elementary and Betsy Layne the first week. I am very excited and I know that this is going to be a
summer I will never forget!


No comments:

Post a Comment