Monday, June 16, 2014

Second Two Weeks- Don't Blink

     It doesn't matter how you spend your time as long as you are enjoying yourself, and I am definitely enjoying myself. Summer always moves quickly with my two jobs, and raising tobacco. Finding time to just relax is like trying to find a needle in a hay stack. Extension has really put this summer is a faster gear. Being added to the other two jobs I have, the tobacco I raise, my work out time, family time, and relaxing time 24 hours really just isn't enough time in a day. My family and friends worry about my over load but I just joke and say I'll sleep when I'm dead. This being said the third and fourth weeks at extension have been amazing! I actually doubled checked my calendar to make sure that it had been four weeks on the job. I can't believe it!
    The first week in June was packed with all kinds of activities and events. I started Monday off with a morning in the office. Then after lunch I went with David to a farm in Flemingsburg to set up and plant the silage plots for this year variety demonstration. We laid out the different plots and then the farmer took time out of his busy schedule to help us plant. Seeing and taking part in a community project makes me happy to know that I am from a small area where everyone helps each other. On Tuesday that afternoon I helped both the 4-H and my Ag agent with the tractor driving class. We had seven kids participate in learning about tractor safety, the different types of engines and how each one operates. They then went outside and a local farmer had let us borrow his hay rake and tractor and we showed them the proper way to take care of the equipment. On Thursday the 4-H livestock show team came to the office for an evening cookout and work shop. The food was delicious and I had a chance to really socialize with the kids and their parents. The livestock group is a great group of people. I look forward to working with them at the livestock show here at the office in July!
The fourth week on the job went by tremendously fast, (as you can tell because I am posting the beginning of the fifth.) I had the opportunity to travel back to my college Morehead State and go to the farm and help them with the livestock show. Monday was the judging contest so after helping hang sponsor signs in each of the show rings I traveled to a farm in Flemingsburg to help with the dairy judging. It was nice to be back in that atmosphere. I grew up on a dairy as a small kid and took part in dairy judging as a high school FFA member, but seeing how few dairies still exist and how few kids are taking an interest in then dairy aspect of agriculture really saddens my heart. On Tuesday I got a chance to go with my FCS agent to Evans Orchard to take a look at the huge business they run there. I got to hand pick strawberries and help the elder ladies with their purchases. The rest of the week was spent in the office organizing and preparing for the next week.
I can't believe all the work that goes into the behind the scenes preparation. I enjoy working with this family here at the office. We spend so much time together we really are a family.

Breann Litzinger, Bracken County

No comments:

Post a Comment