Monday, June 16, 2014

My First Big Flop and My Best Week So Far

So, I had decided and planned my summer project…finally. I was going to host two community service events and two fundraisers and if 4-H members attended two of the four events, I would take them on a reward trip to the Cincinnati Zoo to sleep with the manatees! Who wouldn’t want to go, right?! Well, apparently all but four students would rather stay home. After all of my planning, reserving, and extreme anticipation, my summer project was most definitely my first big flop in extension. I have to admit, I was extremely disappointed that I wasn’t going to get to spend two days at zoos and aquariums and get paid for it. So, I guess I am back to square one on this summer project. If you’re reading this and have any ideas, feel free to share!

After my not-so-great week of planning and rejection, I got to go to my first ever 4-H Camp. On the first day, I was pretty reluctant and not looking forward to the next three days at all. I followed my agent around like a lost puppy trying to learn the ropes and figure out what I should be doing. I felt like I was stuck in the middle of being an adult counselor and an agent, and I was just so lost as to who everyone was, what they were all doing, who got along with who, and what the entire culture of the group was. As we rolled into the second day, I got to start co-teaching a cooking class where I finally started making connections and things started falling into place. By the time I got to Sally Down the Alley that night, it was like I had always been a part of this little camp family. I absolutely loved the rest of my week at camp! The people were so much fun to be around, and everyone had the best attitude about being there.

After attending camp, I think my favorite thing about this job so far is working with volunteers. There is just a certain passion, positive attitude, and generally good vibe that come from working with people who are doing something just because they want to. I adored 4-H Camp and regardless of my future occupation will probably volunteer to go back any time that I can.


Kelsey McGlone
Carter County 4-H

No comments:

Post a Comment