Wednesday, June 25, 2014

Half-Way To The Finish Line

I have now completed nearly SEVEN weeks of extension (time flies). During the past four weeks, I have attended Teen Conference, a Professional Development Day with FCS agents in the Fort Harrod area, County Fair, Sewing camp, and 4-H Camp Counselor Training.

Teen Conference was filled with excited teenagers who were ready to tackle UK's campus and learn. My track was "Get Fit". We did yoga the first day and "warm-ups", the second day was a workout for sure! My workshops were Color Your Way to Calm and CSI: Biotechnology. Both were calm and educational workshops that gave me a break for the day. Our district went to Malibu Jack's. I had a blast on their 3D roller coaster ride, X Rider. The four teens from Woodford County were great and very hyper, but funny.












The Friday after Teen Conference, I went on a Professional Development Day with my agent. We toured Jefferson County's Extension office, community gardens, and we visited the Root Cellar (a KY proud grocery store in a low income neighborhood). We also ate at two KY Proud restaurants. Comfy Cow was one (YUM!).

Woodford County's Fair began that Sunday. We were entering exhibits, helping clean up and set up, and helping the judges. It was an experience. It was cool to be a judge at the Garrad County's Fair. My agent and I judged canning. Needless to say, head space is VERY important!

Sewing Camp was a learning experience all within itself. I learned how to use a surgeor (spelling may be off) and a sewing machine. It was calming the first day and frustrating the next as the tasks got harder. However, I enjoyed myself and was very proud of the bag I made.

4-H camp Counselor training was fun and informative. The interns were graced with the Ice Breaker, which Lauren had great input on. The icebreaker got the group up and out of their seats to start the morning. We then were trained on what may happen at camp and how to handle emergency situations. My group was given the tasks of how to handle and prevent bullying. We had skits ready to go and a quick discussion for our audience. The training made me excited and pumped for camp (which is Monday)!

I have spent this current week getting prepared for my class, Scientifically Speaking, for 4-H camp. I have also helped my agent prepare a small meal for Grow a Garden, Prepare the Produce. The meal was delicious and almost everyone had seconds! The meal was Roasted Cherry Tomatoes with Herb Pasta.

-Ebony Davis

No comments:

Post a Comment