Friday, June 6, 2014

What an eyeopener!

In beginning my internship with Mike Reed in Powell County, I was totally oblivious as to how comprehensive this career choice  was. With the first day, we had several farm visits and I got to get familiar with the staff and the office I'll be working with until the first of August. At first I thought that this is all we would be doing, same routine, day in and day out. I have never been more wrong in my life!

My second "day at the office" started with a trip to the grocery store to retrieve 1400 hamburgers, 700 hotdogs and 300 polish sausages for the Powell County Livestock Producer's largest fundraiser. We then proceeded to go to our fundraising location and set up shop for the day. Let me tell you, we all worked hard. There several in the association tended the two ten foot long grills while the others started serving the myriad of patrons we saw that day. Needless to say, my second day in the "office" was 13 hours long with possibly thirty minutes spent in the actual office. While on my way home I couldn't help but think of the selflessness shown by our county agents. That folks is what its all about! We are here to serve our community and aid them in anyway that we can.

In my second week, Mike gave me the responsibility of organizing the Livestock Producers meeting. Since the hay season had began I felt it was fitting to have someone talk about forages or something like that. So eventually the great idea to have a demonstration came to mind. Why not have something that is engaging for your audience? Well let me tell you, since we had the bale wrapping demonstration I have had several local producers contact me for more information. So in doing something small like that, we can make a large difference in our agriculture community!

Since that I have written, printed, and postmarked a newsletter for local producers, as well as a news article for our local newspaper. Oh and how could I forget about Farm Safety Day!? As in the past, this year it was held at the Ware/ Knox Farm in Clay City. We had 14 booths set up for the 315 second and third grade students in our community. We showcased lawnmower, ATV and sun safety just to mention a few. for the grand finale we had a medical helicopter land on the farm and the pilot and crew talked to the children about how serious farm safety is. At seeing their faces while the reflection of that helicopter shown in their eyes, I know they heeded the warning and safety tips they learned about.

Again it is just so good to be working in a field of selflessness. I truly know that our county agents are community leaders and a good example to all that they meet. For this I am proud and so fortunate to have the opportunity to work with the Powell County Extension Office until August.

Until next time,

Patrick M. McCoy, ANR
Powell County

No comments:

Post a Comment