Monday, June 2, 2014

My first two weeks as an intern and Boyd County: Emily Tussey

First of all, I cannot begin to express my gratitude toward the University of Kentucky for giving me such a wonderful opportunity. With each passing day, I begin to enjoy my time as a 4-H and Agriculture intern at Boyd County more and more. From the first day of my internship on May 19th to the first day of my 3rd week today each day I have done something completely different each day.

On my first day I was expecting to walk in the office, meet my fellow co-workers and sit through a long and boring day of watching what everyone else does and not really getting to do any work myself......but boy was I wrong! Since day one, I have been going full speed ahead....and I have loved every second of it. Within my first week I; redecorated barrels for the district 4-H horse show, went to two different elementary schools and gave a presentation for the upcoming 4-H camp, helped teach a Homemaker's lesson on string gardens, had Camp Counselor Training, and did various other activities around the office and at the fair grounds. On friday after completing my first week, I was completely exhausted but so excited to see what the following week would hold.

My second week was just as busy as my first! Week two included another presentation at an elementary school, a district board meeting via lynch, and lots of 4-H camp and horse show preparation. On saturday of my second week, I was able to help with the district horse show. Through my classes at Morehead State, I have been taught how to Body Condition Score livestock and horses. At the district horse show I got to body condition score all the horses competing for the day in hopes to qualify for the state show.

The first two weeks of my internship have been a wonderful learning experience, as well as a behind the scenes look into what extension is all about. I have meet some truly amazing people, and I cannot wait to see what the rest of the summer has in store for me!

No comments:

Post a Comment