Tuesday, June 24, 2014

First Couple of Weeks, Alaysia Radford

WEEK 1
As starting my internship I was overly excited to be working with the agents at Christian County. Monday June 2, 2014 everyone greeted me as soon as I walked through the door. I was even given my own office in the lab, in which I few bugs to keep me company. My agent Mia gave me a  tour of the office space and important sites in the county I needed to remember. The first day also included assisting an etiquette class to a group of middle school Hopkinsville Middle School boys. This was an extremely good group of boys because they were eager to learn the proper etiquette. For Wednesday, I went to the farmers market with agent Norma. Every Wednesday someone out of the office prepares a healthy dish to give samples at the farmers market. It was a beautiful morning so we enjoyed the weather while giving the samples of broccoli, grape pasta salad. In fact it was rather tasty. We were also able to give away recipe calendars, UK spoons, colanders , and bowls. I found myself talking to citizens I haven't seen in a few years. Thursday, I joined our FCS agent at the Fantastic Floral Design class. This class was for the homemakers from surrounding counties to learn how to make flower arrangements. Friday was a big day, 4H agent Kendriana partnered with Fort Campbell to have a Family Game Night. I was in charge of the smores table. Lets just say I ran out of EVERYTHING. I found it refreshing to put a smile on peoples faces. This game night had over 200 people in attendance. Also every family got to take a game home with them. At that point working until 8 PM didn't matter because it was for a good cause and was greatly appreciated  form the soldiers and their families.

WEEK 2-Teen Conference
Well, well, well my first teen conference went smooth. I was able to meet all six teens prior to leaving for Lexington. All of these children were in fact unique in their own way so it was interesting to see how they connected.
The conference had everyone on a set schedule during the entire day. So I was able to attend a couple of workshops and assist with Fashion Revue which is a big deal. Students get to showcase their products. There were over 600 teens at this conference so you can imagine what the atmosphere was like. Each workshop designed to educate the teens in some type of way. A workshop I attended was a "Don't Stress" lesson. The instructor administered a stress level test and gave useful information on how to regulate stress. We also made stress balls with balloons and play dough. The experiences was beneficial because I got to meet a lot of Cooperative agents along with the youth. 4-H is here to make children into successful well-rounded individuals.

No comments:

Post a Comment