Thursday, June 19, 2014

Starting out Soaring, Katie Ullery week 1-2



My internship at Clark County has started out flying!! My first few days I spent getting into the swing of everything and planning for future events, but it was the second week when went to Teen Conference that we started flying and have been soaring ever since. Going to Teen Conference as an adult was a new experience compared to attending at a delegate and an STC member. I was able to help teach the Superhero track, where talked to kids about what it looks like to be a superhero in the world we live in today and showed them real world superheroes. After Teen Conference we started our County Fair week, when everyone told me this week was going to be busy I think I should have believed them. We started on Saturday with our district beef show and concession stand, and ended the day with our county fair beef show.  On Monday I got to experience my first goat show and also help checking in entries into the fair. Yesterday I assisted with our Cloverbud day camp that was all about air! The kids learned about weather, birds, and airplanes and had a blast all along the way.  Though the past two weeks have been extremely different the experiences I have learned a lot already; I love attending 4-H events and seeing the different sides of the organization, from leadership to showing to educational learning. I also really enjoy helping plan and run activities and day camps. I forgot how much fun it is to plan a class and then actually run it and it go well.  Some of the true life lessons I have learned this week are that goats are like kids and by the end of the day of showing they become cranky and loud too, you can get a 1,500 pound cow to move by just bending its tail or just poking the back of its leg, and it’s okay to overestimate for concessions because in the summer they’ll be another one in a week or two.

No comments:

Post a Comment