Thursday, June 5, 2014

Job Posting: WANTED - Cooperative Extension Services Intern. Details below.



Job Description:  Attend meetings, plan a camp class, lead Gardening Club, cure hams, assist with Homemakers, make preparations for the upcoming 3 weeks of conferences and camps, and orient delegates and volunteers

Benefits:  Lunch is provided for the first two weeks


As I began my internship with the LaRue County Extension office this summer, I thought I was prepared for anything.  Turns out, I must have prepared for the wrong things.  I came into this internship with a 4-H back ground and had studied up on the purpose and goals of Extension Services however, this did little justice of giving me a taste for what the first two weeks would be like.


Coming in to the office on that first day filled my planner, and brain, very quickly.  The first day was nice and slow only making fliers, doing some Teen Conference preparations, and penciling in a Cooking Club meeting for the afternoon.  I stopped in, took pictures, and talked to them a little about the chocolate chip muffins they were making.  The rest of the week however flew by like a hurricane.  Go big or go home; so I attended the District 5 meeting, helped with Teen Conference orientation, Homemakers meeting, country ham curing for the state fair, and lead Gardening Club all in the first week.  The time flew by and you hardly know where it goes.


After what seemed like a short weekend, already working a Saturday, Monday rolled in on two wheels as I attended the Client Protection Committee meeting and assisted in leading the Camp Training meeting that afternoon.  Finally, Tuesday slowed the pace a little.  As I prepared and looked through materials to figure out for myself what the Kentucky Youth Seminar is all about I had a moment, just long enough, to realize the summer would be going by much quicker than I wanted as my next 3 weeks will be spent at overnight conferences and camps.  But, the show must go on!  So I finished out the afternoon with a United Way Advisory Committee meeting.  Wednesday I was able to get some time out of the office as Lydia Richardson, the Meade County 4-H intern, and I took a little trip to Lake Cumberland 4-H camp for the morning.  We spent some time there selecting and identifying several tree species to use in preparation for the class we will be teaching during our week at camp.  We had both attended camp in our younger years and though we knew the grounds so well at one point, it was helpful to get back down there and re-familiarize ourselves.  These last few days of closing down the first two weeks for me have been a little slower.  As my advisor is out of the office for a couple days I have been preparing my camp lesson more in depth and attended the Rotary Club meeting with our ANR agent.  You think things would even out at some point and reach a steady pace but as I sit here in the office with only 3 other staff members for the rest of the week, I wonder if that will happen.  I suppose for now I will appreciate the down time I do have as I work through the last few things in preparation for heading out to Teen Conference on Monday.


On the plus side hard work really does pay off, in more ways than one.  As the summer continues I’m looking forward to the many memory making opportunities I will encounter.  Though in most cases you will not reap the benefits up front, LaRue County Extension takes a different approach to that.  With all of the hustle and bustle theses two weeks through meetings and other events, I have not had a single day that lunch was not provided for me.  Be it potluck or catering, I have been privileged with the good company and food.  I am very appreciative of the staff that have welcomed me in and placed me right in the middle of the happenings within LaRue County.  It’s good to be back home.



This week’s lasting impression:  This moment was brought to me by the precious ladies in attendance at the county homemaker’s annual meeting.  These women warm my heart and put a smile on my face.  I look forward to the day when I can appreciate the time to sit down with my friends for a potluck dinner like these do.  The joy these ladies had just to be there and the discussions I may have overheard were blissful.  That’s a small town for you and it reminds me of the reasons I want to stick around.

No comments:

Post a Comment