Monday, June 16, 2014

Wrapping up the End of the School Year & Starting Summer the Right Way!


 These last couple weeks I have been on the move, wrapping up the school programs and starting our summer! Here in Campbell County we end the school year with a bang! Assisting with the End of the Year Games at Crossroads Elementary was a blast! We played many games with the students where they got wet, worked together and were able to just let loose and run around after each other! It was a blast seeing the kids have so much fun and being able to play with them made the experience ten times more fun!



To start the summer off, I had the chance to participate in helping with our Milestone Horse Camp! This was a heartwarming experience seeing students with disabilities and being able to work with to ride the horses!  The smiles on their faces when they would finally get to sit on the horses and be lead around the area were priceless! Their joy, laughter and smiles made me realize that 4-H allows for dreams to come true and gives youth the opportunity for happiness! During the Milestone Horse Camp, I also got to lead a few camp songs with the students and teach the 4-H Pledge in Sign Language! Spending a day with these kids was by far the best way to kick off summer! 


 
























 To also get the summer started I was able to attend Teen Conference, where we took five teens to enjoy this fun-filled week! Teen Conference was a blast just like I remember it was when I was a delegate. At Teen Conference I was able to participate in a track; Sock Monkey Mania, a workshop; Apple Art, and teach my own workshop; Let’s Bling up your Wardrobe! We had a great week and it was a great experience being able to be an intern and being able to teach a workshop! 




To end these fun, eventful and busy weeks, I spent my Friday at 4-H Horse Camp! At Horse Camp I assisted in two games; Chin Apple and Spoon Egg. Chin Apple is a game where the 4-Her’s have to hold an apple under their chin while riding their horse, if you drop their apple they were out. As the game is going the gate of their horse had to increase. We started the 4-Her’s out at a walk then they increased to a trot, and then to a canter or lope. A lot of the 4-Her’s lost their apples when they opened into a trot, we had a few advance 4-Her’s be able to make it to a canter/lope and stay in a canter/lope until they lost their apples. Spoon Egg is very similar just the 4-Her has to balance an egg on the spoon while riding, going through the same phases; walk, trot, then to canter/lope. These were to great games where I got the chance to interact with the 4-Her’s, see their skills they had learned or mastered that week at camp and also to be able to cheer them on! 




 
These past few weeks have been amazing! Campbell County 4-H for sure ended the year and started the summer off right! I can’t wait to see what else my summer has in hold for me. I am excited for all the new adventures and experiences ahead!



No comments:

Post a Comment