Tuesday, July 2, 2013

We Can Do It!- Weeks 4,5,&6

Here in Magoffin County we've been on the go for the whole month of June. I had the opportunity to go to 4-H Teen Conference with my FCS agent. We took three high school students, who had never been to the University of Kentucky before. I got the chance to teach a workshop with my agent, Brooke and Sara, an FCS agent from Fayette County. We taught on Shakes and Smoothies trying some delicious and unique new recipes and giving the students a hands-on smoothie making experience. Also, I got to sit in on another track class taught by another 4-H agent. I had a good time, but we were ready to head back to east KY after a week of long activities. When we returned, the work clock kept on ticking as we needed to prepare for our Relay for Life Cancer Survivors Dinner at the office. The next day we set up Hollywood themed decorations. Brooke was a survivorship co-chair for Magoffin's Relay for Life and I got a chance to see first-hand how to raise funds and put together events with another organization. The survivors dinner went extremely well and it was such a joy to see so many cancer survivors in one room working together to support a cure. Everyone was able to get a door prize thanks to the generation donations made by community businesses.
 Week 5 was another busy planning week like every other. I was able to make my first solo trip to the IGA for supplies for 4-H Foods Club and Playdates groups. I helped gather and set up for 4-H Foods, which was zucchini themed. I got to go with an FNEP assistant to one of the many food banks that serves Magoffin. Playdates group was focused on dairy with grape juice floats and cow masks, such fun times. I was able to create a flyer for day camp with the great help of our staff secretary, it turned out fabulously. The local library was putting on a summer reading program and I got to go and help pass out a healthy snack and read a book to the two different groups with an FNEP assistant. Also, giving me a chance to get the day camp flyer out into the community of parents. The County Homemaker Annual Meeting took place boasting the same motto as my blog post. I got to meet members of all the different homemaker groups that the extension office works with in the county. As well as take part in some delicious food! The homemakers showed off their cultural arts and elected new officers for the following year. The Relay for Life race took place on a Friday evening at a local elementary school. Along with Brooke and the other survivorship co-chair, Michelle Sode, we were able to pass out medals to the survivors, who walked the first lap and pins to caregivers, in the second. It was such a moving experience.
Week 6 was short in the office, but is going to show lots of longevity in the future. I attended an Ag Alumni Meeting and got to hear from the out-going dean as well as meet several other professionals involved with the College of Ag or Extension. I learned the importance of the alumni contributing to the prosperity of the programs in the College of Ag. The rest of the week was a whirlwind. Luckily, I had the chance to go the AAFCS conference and expo in Houston, TX. I took part in several educational sessions that I found interesting and beneficial in my future with FCS and Extension. I was able to meet many FCS professionals from across the country, who deal in many different areas, but serve a common purpose. I am glad I got to share in my first AAFCS experience with my agent, Brooke. I hope to attend again next year and stay in contact with some that I met and continue to meet more in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment