Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Enjoying Extension More by the Minute

The past couple of weeks have been extremely busy here at the Harrison County Office, hints why my blog is just a few days late.  My supervising agent took a vacation the week before last so my responsibilities in and around the office really stepped up, which I truly enjoyed.  I had to answer calls, make farm visits, and look at samples that were brought into the office.  I tried the best I could to answer the questions I knew and if I didn’t know, I would find out and get back to the grower as soon as I could. 

The following week consisted of a Farm Field Day for the growers in our county as well as surrounding counties, and even more farm visits having to do with various corn problems throughout the county as well as some issues with soybeans, such as population and slug damage, and tobacco issues.  Toward the end of the week into the weekend I switched gears and took on a 4-H role by attending Cloverbud Camp and helping teach a rocketry class.  I think I enjoyed shooting the rockets off more than the kids did!!  By the way, this was my first stay at 4-H camp ever so it was definitely a learning experience from many different points.
 
The day I got back from Cloverbud Camp I swapped out luggage and got in the vehicle with my Ag. Agent, Gary, and headed toward Cincinnati for the annual state Ag. agent meeting.  I thoroughly enjoyed meeting several of the agents around the state and learning about different projects that each agent was doing in their home counties. After returning back to Harrison County we jumped straight into fair week today with our hog show and it will continue until next Saturday, then 4-H camp week follows the fair. 

It’s safe to say I am learning more this summer than I ever dreamed I would in one summer and I have very little free time if any at all.  However, I would not have it any other way! This summer has kept me busy and I am trying to be a sponge and learn all that I can. All the hours I have put in so far have definitely been worth it and I hope that one day I can fulfill my dream of becoming an Extension Agent.
P.S. My summer project is coming along very well.  I am writing a publication for home lawn care here in Harrison County and I also had a side project of planning and helping organize the Farm Field Day. I look forward to seeing you all at the Intern Roundup!

No comments:

Post a Comment