Monday, July 8, 2013

Fun Foods, 4H Camp, & Nutrition Lessons with Senior Citizens

              
               Entering into my seventh and eight week of my internship I have continued my special project, attended leadership trainings, and was an adult volunteer at 4H Camp for the second time! While these past two weeks have mostly been time spent out of the office, I am now ready to be back in the office to prepare for programs in the weeks ahead.
                In the seventh week of my internship, I continued my special project. My special project this summer is traveling to all of the senior citizen centers in Floyd County to do a nutrition lesson over low-fat diets, fiber, and low sodium diets during lunch time. In this week, I traveled down a little windy road to the most southern part of Floyd County to a little town called Wheelwright. There, I did a nutrition lesson over low-fat diets at their Senior Citizens Center. I have had so much fun this summer with my special project. Even though, this is my home county, I have been given the opportunity to meet so many wonderful, new people and have traveled to parts of the county that I have never been to before. During this week, I also traveled to the Magoffin County Office since we are in the middle of moving to attend a leadership training.
Fun Foods at 4H Camp
                In my eight week of my internship, along with the Floyd County 4H Agent, Heather Nelson, we packed up and headed to JM Feltner for 4H Camp! There, I taught “Fun Foods” with the Martin County 4H Summer Intern, Chelsey Derifield. It was so much fun meeting an intern from a different county and sharing our summer experiences. In Fun Foods this year, on the first day of class, we did painting with fruits and vegetables and made tie-dyed cookie pizza. Prior to camp, I mixed in food coloring with sugar cookies and baked them.  For the “sauce,” we used cream cheese and topped the pizza off with fruits such as mango, kiwi, blueberries and pineapple! On the second day, the kids made vanilla ice cream in ziplock bags. The campers seemed to really enjoy making the ice cream and some just had to have the recipe so they could make it at home.
                For the next couple of weeks, I plan on visiting more senior citizens centers as part of my Special Project and visiting the Pike County Office to attend a class that is part of the Pike County’s FCS Summer Intern, Mollie Dawahare’s Special Project. I am so sad to see my internship closely coming to an end, but I am looking forward to the many opportunities that are left to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment