Monday, July 22, 2013

Adventures in Clark County Extension



The past two weeks at the Clark County Extension Office have been much more relaxed in comparison to the beginning of my internship, but just as exciting and educational as ever. The more relaxed nature of these past two weeks have allowed me the opportunity to experience some of the other areas of extension.

Sick trees everywhere!
 With our agriculture and natural resources agent on vacation this week, I have had to opportunity to make some farm and home visits to local members of the community by myself. I have even been able to familiarize myself with the University of Kentucky’s campus through many trips to the plant diagnostics lab and regulatory services. Due to the extremely wet summer we have had in Clark County, many people are experiencing issues with the health of their trees. Even a good thing such as rain can be detrimental in excess! I also had to opportunity to go along with our ANR agent on farm visits to local commercial vegetable producers in preparation for a field day later this month. Tomatoes are plentiful in Clark County this summer!

This Wednesday was spent in preparation for the NVON conference in Frankfort. I had the opportunity to travel with our FCS agent on Thursday to assist with a class she will be presenting on the “Plate it Up” program. Good food and even better company certainly made for an exciting trip to the capital of our beautiful Commonwealth!
Recipe cards for NVON goodie bags.












Working hard with robots.




July for 4H means day camps are beginning in Clark County. Our first day camp this month involved Lego Robotics. I will have to say that the youth in our county most definitely put me to shame with their skills and knowledge of computer programming! The future is definitely bright with these youth leading the way.

It’s hard to believe that in three weeks I will be heading back to Murray State to begin graduate studies. My time with the Clark County Extension service has made for an extremely exciting summer!

No comments:

Post a Comment