Monday, July 15, 2013

Ol' Oldham County Fun!

I have about four weeks left of this unforgettable experience. I must say, it’s bittersweet. I have learned so much about Cooperative Extension and the many services that it offers to various communities. Over this past two weeks, I have been in “Camp Mode.” For the first week, I was in over my head with all of the tasks that were to be completed before we left for camp. I had no idea that so much work and effort went into a one week camp experience. From nametags, to potty break bus stops, everything had to be taken into account. What I learned the most through preparing for camp, is that you can never prepare enough. This year, Oldham County was “in charge.” My agent was the program director and head of the entire camp operation of the three counties total that attended. I truly commend this woman. She really does go above and beyond for the children that are involved in 4H. She makes sure to cover every avenue, every “what if” and analyzes every aspect of camp so that we can be prepared for almost anything.
The paperwork aspect may have been the most challenging for me. Since I am not a very detail oriented person, I take things as they come. However, this experience has taught me that we must plan for the unknown. She explained to me many times that there would be children that wanted to go home sick, children that really would be sick, how to take care of children that has specific allergies, etc. Needless to say, even when I thought I had completed a task, there was always something that I hadn’t thought of, that we could do better to make camp run smoothly. After making sure all walkie talkies had batteries, all children were accounted for, everyone had signed photo release forms, every child had a name tag and cabin assignment (that they liked), no one would come in contact with harmful allergies, all campers and adults had an head lice check and we had activity supplies for 375 children, it was finally time to go to camp.
I was very excited to go to camp, though it was short lived. The second day of camp, I noticed my throat was sore and didn’t seem to be your normal “scratchy throat.” I proceeded to the MED center, where I was diagnosed with Strep throat and had to leave the camp site. L However, for the couple of days that I was there, I had a great time. We did everything from swimming, to cave excursions, and crafts to zip lining, and I can’t forget the best part of camp, Sally time. It was great. I loved everything about camp, everything it represented and best of all, the smiles on the children’s faces. They loved it! It was an awesome experience, which I wish I could have finished through. I look forward to being an adult leader next year, it was that good.

No comments:

Post a Comment