Monday, July 15, 2013

Spencer County Camp, Fair and everything in between

Two weeks ago was my first ever experience at 4-H camp.  I had so much fun and met a lot of really cool people.  Camp started off at 5 Monday the 1st with us getting to the office and getting all the campers, teens, adults and helpers organized.  Bags were loaded and we were off to what would be an amazing wet week of camp.  We camped with Bullitt, Trimble and Pulaski counties at the 4-H camp at Jabez. On the first day no one was able to swim because of the Thunder storms but we made lemonade out of those lemons and had a great time in our cabins getting to know one another.  I spent a lot of time walking around camp with my cabin and doing activities with them getting the nickname "Mama DJ" by the campers and teens.  I even spent two mornings at the pool early with campers for polar bear swim and boy does 5am come around early when you are the designated hair braider until 1 or 2 in the morning!!!  Sadly, I got sick on the 4th of July and missed the Firework show but was informed it was really cool.  Camp was overall an awesome experience even if we did get soaked a couple of times from all the rain.I met new friends, found some old friends and learned a lot.
The nights at camp were by far my favorite as I learned a new thing called "Sallying" .  I felt really cool because a bunch of campers asked me to sally and I enjoyed it.  I was also very humbled by the kids who were homesick and it became my job to make them enjoy camp.  At the end of camp the 7 kids I had helped get over their homesickness got high fives and I signed their tshirts.
The week after camp was really low key as far as work went. I sat in on a building committee meeting where we decided rules and regulations for the office and we started getting ready for the County fair as well as the county's back to school event and I got to stand up as my Best Friend got married.  We tabbed newsletters and invites to the HealthFair Ready Fest and this week we are knee deep in fair! We start clean-up tomorrow and entries the next day! It is sure to be a very exciting time as the only fair I have ever been to is the State Fair in Louisville!!!!  This week I will be at the fairgrounds and making my intern video! See you all soon!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment