Monday, July 15, 2013

4-H Camp reVIEW Hardin County

Clover Dynasty
"4-H Camp quacks me up"




From June 4th-7th I spent my time at Dawson Springs, Ky for my second 4H camp experience. My previous stint was with the Jefferson County 4H Extension Office at Lake Cumberland. Two different camping experiences that I was able to experience.

This year I would go on to say that I was more excited for camp because I was actually going camping with my home county and that I knew what to expect going into the week at Dawson Springs. Prior to camp starting, we held a parent/camper meeting where we I was able to introduce myself to the campers and their parents and let them know how excited I was to go camping. To think that many of the parents had remembered me from when I used to play varsity sports back in high school, even some of the children looked up to me. It was a humbling and fortunate experience to have when the parents were happy and proud to see where I am at in my life right now after being known for the local sports star in my community.

As a male cabin leader, I had the chance to bond with my boys during the camp. Once we arrived at the camp and we got situated in our cabin, I thought it would be a good idea for every camper to get to know one another, and we had an ice breaker and after that I gave all of my boys "cool nicknames" for each of them to go by.


We were so fortunate to have camp when it wasn't so hot outside. With the exception of one rainy night, most of the days were sunny, while the nights were cool.

What I liked about the Dawson Springs camp was that the campsite itself was much smaller and built closer together than Lake cumberland so getting around from event to event was much more pleasing. I really liked the Gaga ball court that was set up as well. A very fun game for the campers and even myself to play during down time at camp.

What I didn't like about Dawson Springs camp was that, (in my opinion) I believe that the classes somewhat may have been too long. In which certain classes that possibly some of the campers weren't "too interested" in they would become bored and they would get restless and the attention of them would be lost and also it just seemed like they had a bit too much free time on their hands.

Overall, the flow of events from day to day went smooth for the campers, and staff.

One of my most memorable memories that I took back from 4H camp was that a couple of my campers swore up and down that they would not sally not once at camp and not even with a girl at the beginning of camp. But on that last night, I make my way to the pavilion, to see two of my young campers having the time of their life sallying with new female friends they have made and even seen them "snowballing" with them. I thought it was funny to see the young boys bragging about how many times they "sallied" on the last night and all the new friends they made.
Also, I even learned how to do the famous line dance, the "Cotton Eyed-Joe." The campers thought it was hilarious when I learned the dance because I couldn't stop once I learned it. The fact that I was extremely taller than them made the moment even more enjoyable.


No comments:

Post a Comment