Monday, July 22, 2013

Nutrition Lessons with Senior Citizens


With only two weeks remaining of my summer internship, I have mainly focused all of my time and effort into my special project. For my special project this summer, I visited and plan to visit to mostly all of the Senior Citizens Centers in Floyd County. I visit the centers around lunchtime to a nutrition lesson. I have done nutrition lessons over Low Fat Diets, Fiber, and Low Sodium Diets: Cooking with Herbs.

I have traveled up and down he windy roads of Floyd County making multiple visits to the Prestonsburg, Wheelwright, and Mud Creek Senior Citizens Centers. I have met and interacted with so many new and wonderful people in my home county. If it weren’t for this internship, I wouldn’t have even explored and discovered the many great towns between the mountains here in eastern Kentucky.

These past two weeks, I just started doing the nutrition lesson over herbs and low sodium diets. I was the most nervous about this lesson. I have never been familiar with herbs or even cooked with them, but after learning, researching, and teaching about herbs, I have begun incorporating and experimenting with different herbs when cooking for myself.

In the 9th and 10th week of my internship, I attended a district board meeting and I also made a trip up to the Pike County Extension Office to attend the Pike County FCS Intern, Mollie Dawahare’s Cooking with Friends Program. She did a fantastic job on teaching us how to cut an onion and pepper. We also made delicious flat bread!

No comments:

Post a Comment