Friday, July 5, 2013

Little Sally Walker...

These past two weeks have been a blur at Meade County. I spent last week at Lake Cumberland 4-H camp. This was my first time ever going so it was quite an experience. While at camp, Aurora (the 4-H intern for Meade County) and I taught several classes on how to build Straw Rockets. We first had to teach the students the forces of flight before we could build. We gave students the opportunity to first design their own rocket and then launch them to see the distance it traveled. After that, they were able to make modifications to see whose could go further. I came home from camp singing different camp songs such as Princess Pat, Little Sally Walker, and Linger. We had an awesome group of campers that went and I truly had a blast with them. I even Sallied a couple of times! Some of the campers called me Mom because at night they would all sit on my bed and talk about their day, it was great to see them so excited about camp even though they were far away from home.                                                                                                        


                                                               
When I returned from camp,I reset my spotted wing drosophila traps. Considering the weather we have had, the wind knocked one of my traps over and the other one was filled with rain water. My traps are now set in a much better location.  Below is a picture of the ripening blackberries that are out in the field.                                                                                   
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                             
This week I have also been working with the 4-H intern on making a couple of videos for the Farm Bureau Fair breakfast. We will be highlighting two individuals from the program areas in Meade County. This video will be played during the breakfast. I have been making calls, pulling pictures, and slowly the video has started to take shape thanks to Auroras mad video skills!
Today we have our first interview, I am extremely excited about this and I know that it will be very interesting to hear about extension from a farmers perspective. These past two weeks have flown by and I know the rest of the summer will. There is never a dull moment. I have learned so much about different aspect in Agriculture that I am truly amazed!  

No comments:

Post a Comment