Friday, July 19, 2013

Time Is Moving So Fast!


Its hard to believe that two more weeks have gone, Meade County Extension has been so good to me! These past two weeks have been full of working on my special project. My special project consisted of trapping the Spotted Wing Drosophila. I received confirmation last week that the trap contents that I sent into UK had the gnat. It was awesome to think that I trapped this gnat but I was also bummed out because this means a lot more stress and worry for the producer.


This particular producer that has this gnat on their farm sells blackberries as part of a you pick, they sell to winery’s, and they also sell to local restaurants. So delivering the news to him was pretty hard for me. But, now we know what steps to take in order to help this producer and to make sure that he is still producing quality products.

Along with working on my special project, the other intern at Meade County, Aurora, and I have been working on a video. This video consists of six different people that we are highlighting who have utilized the extension resources here in the county. This includes making calls to those individuals, taking pictures, holding a video interview with them, and then putting it all together in order to show case it at our county fair Farm Bureau Fair Breakfast which will be next Thursday.
These pictures below are included in the video that we have created!
 

These past two weeks I have learned a lot more about tomatoes, fescue, tobacco, cattle genetics, algae in ponds, taking hay samples, and I also worked the 4-H communications day last Saturday where I judged Horticulture demonstrations. With extension there is not enough hours in the day, the opportunities are endless and there is so much to learn and do! This summer has been great and I cannot wait to see what else it has in store for me!

No comments:

Post a Comment