Thursday, June 23, 2016

Work in Progress


Hey guys! 
I hope you are doing well as you read this post! By the looks of it every one is enjoying their experiences and learning a lot along the way. Like a few of you my internship is not only developing me on the inner workings of extension, but my own skill sets as well.

This summer I am interning at the Fayette County Extension office working with 4H Youth Development. My first week was camp at the Feltner camp grounds; that was a lot to step into. However the week was beautiful and I really enjoyed teaching cool foods with my fellow intern Briana, who is also interning in the office with FCS. Most of all I enjoyed seeing the first time campers grow throughout the week exponentially.  What a roller coaster of emotions; from the exciting first two days, the down of a tiring Wednesday, the burst of energy on Thursday, and the sad good byes on Friday. Seeing them leave home with a new confidence touched my heart.

My experience at camp further affirmed to me that youth development is an area of work I truly want to be a part of. Due to some changes in the Fayette county fair schedule I was given the opportunity to do just this. For my summer project I will be developing the youth night activities for the Bluegrass county fair! I plan to have the night themed after a carnival; each activity will fit one of the 4H models. (Healthy living, Science, and Citizenship)

I am also very excited to be working with the Neighborhood Entrepreneurs Club, I will be working with Mercedes Maness on her project, helping to incorporate team building and leadership skills; while educating the teens about 4H. 


No comments:

Post a Comment