Tuesday, June 14, 2016

More Than a Desk Job

When I first learned that I had been chosen as a 4-H intern in Estill County, I could not contain my excitement! Being able to work with kids all summer and be outside doing projects and activities seemed so much more exciting than my job as a mail clerk at a law office. I was excited about going to camp and teen conference and, of course, working the fair barn at our local county fair. I thought I pretty much knew how everything was going to work and what I would be doing for the summer,; a few events here and there, maybe a late evening every once in a while, or a late club meeting, but more desk work and time in the office than anything. I could not possibly imagine how very wrong I was.

Coming from a mostly agriculture and FFA background, I had never been a 4-H member growing up. Since both are considered "agricultural organizations" I didn't think that they could be very different. How wrong! There are similarities in the two; both give kids confidence and encourage teamwork as well as independence, both have a variety of clubs within one organization, and both encourage and teach public speaking. Though the organizations are similar, 4-H is much broader than I ever could have imagined.

In my first week here in Estill County, I helped a few members clean their hams that they had been curing to enter in the state fair - something I had never done before. The kids who had done hams in previous years explained to me what to do and what I was looking for. Estill County is one of the few counties who had NO BUGS in our hams! For that, I was very excited.

Within that same week, I went to Eastern Kentucky University with a group of students from Powell and Estill counties to attend a presentation concerning the inauguration and other political topics. The group I traveled with will be attending the Presidential Inauguration this upcoming January!They will also get to attend the inaugural ball (and I am super jealous).

My next week I got to attend practices for our shooting sports teams, including archery and trap shooting. These were the first practices of the year and our teams were already looking great!

Then, I had the privilege to attend a performance of "The Phantom of the Opera" in Louisville with a small group of students from our teen club and a few of their parents and guardians. The performance was amazing and the kids were able to enjoy it and ask Isaac and I lots of questions afterward,

After all these things there was still camp, pottery club, sewing club, workshops of all different kinds, teen conference, cloverbud camp , and so many other things! We can go from reeking of country hams to being dressed up in a theater. This organization is just so diverse! I came into this thinking that I knew what I would be doing. I am so glad to say that I was completely and utterly wrong. While there is still some desk work that must be done, most of the time we are out doing something for our kids. That is making this one of the most rewarding jobs that I could ever have. I can't wait to see what else this summer holds!

No comments:

Post a Comment