Thursday, June 23, 2016

What is it like to be an Extension Intern?

Going into my first day of this internship, I wasn't exactly sure what to expect. I had different things about what they did in the school systems, and was even involved in a couple clubs but that was it. I never would have imagined that in just 5 short weeks, extension would have won over my heart completely. I am completely blessed that I have the opportunity to go back to my home community, and help educate and interact with them on a daily basis. Although I have to say they usually end up teaching me more by the end of the day.
On my very first day, I sat down with my agent and we wrote down all of the events, conferences, and meetings that had been planned for the summer. I could instantly tell that I was going to be busy, and that I was going to get more opportunities to get involved than what I had originally anticipated. I became overwhelmed and excited at the same time to see what the summer would entail. I also originally thought that I would only get to collaborate with the agent that I was assigned with, and boy was I completely wrong. 
I have gotten to go to a local wheat field and determine the yield loss that occurred when some kids drove through it with fourwheelers, believe it or not there is a formula to deter mine this. I had the privilege to attend a Louisville Ag Club meeting, in which I had the opportunity to meet many of the local and state faces of Agriculture. I taught an Ag Finance class, to teach local farmers how to record keep and its' importance. I collaborate with the Family Consumer Sciences Agent a lot, whether it is helping out with Homemakers or teaching a nutrition course. 
4-H has been a complete adventure all on its' own though! From teen conference to camp planning to state livestock judging to even more camp planning, there hasn't been a dull moment. I got to help teach a leadership class at teen conference, and got to experience 4-H for the very first time. The love that the kids I work with, as well as the rest of the state, have for this organization is motivation enough to want to be a 4-H agent. It was a blast. Camp planning has definitely been more than stressful, but I'm extremely excited to get to participate and see 4-H members of all ages work together. 
My individual project is going to be an enrichment day at both elementary schools, where I will educate the students on what animal by-products are and their importance. It occurred to me, when I was talking to my little brother and his friends that most younger don't realize that almost everything they use comes from an animal in some way. This was extremely eye opening to me, and I believe that I important that people of all ages understand not only where their food comes from, but daily household items as well. Students will have the opportunity to see a variety of different items that you wouldn't think come from an animal in person and try to figure what part of the animal they come from. Students will learn the by-products that come from cattle, swine, sheep, and even chickens. The enrichment day will take place on June 30th, and I'm excited to see what the students will learn and am hopefully that they will take information and share it with others.
I'm extremely excited to see what else this internship has to offer me as the summer continues!

No comments:

Post a Comment