Monday, June 13, 2016

The Community & Economic Development Initiative of Kentucky

When I tell people how I'm spending my summer, as an intern for CEDIK, the Community & Economic Development Initiative of Kentucky, they always say, "That's a mouthful." But there is really no other way to express what the brilliant, funny, and charismatic staff from the 3rd and 4th floors of the Charles E. Barnhart Building do; travel all over the state to encourage and facilitate success in others.

On my very first day, I spent 6 hours in the car with my supervisor, Marisa Aull, as we traveled to Bowling Green to talk with fabulous staff assistants about conflict. The next day I was up to my elbows in data from the Community Health Needs Assessments. That Friday we headed out to Martin County to present that data to the CEO's of 12 Appalachian Regional Healthcare Hospitals. And that was just the first few weel.


In just this short month I have been given so many awesome opportunities, whether it be to develop youth engagement programs for the next generation of Lexington, or to meet and chat with the Executive Director of the Appalachian Regional Commission. Opportunities like these is what CEDIK hopes to provide youth across the state with.





I've learned what it means to shop local, not just for the hype, but to support, cherish, and build up your community. I know more than I ever planned to about ruminants and hind gut fermentation. I've learned that if you give a group of great students some paper and chalk, they can create a piece of art that will inspire you.


But most of all, I've learned that this is what I want to do with the rest of my life; extend knowledge and change lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment