Friday, June 24, 2016

Life as a Mercer County Intern


Well, it's been a month since I've started this adventure as an intern in Mercer County. Throughout my time, I have learned so many new things, and keep continuing to do so. From Canning 101 to 4-H camp, I've immersed myself into the life of extension. Luci has been the mentor I've never had. Her quirkiness and fast-pace lifestyle has taught me to balance life and embrace your personality. It's truly an honor to be her intern.

I am with a group of lovely ladies and they have shown and taught me many things in their office. I work with Miss Bobbie Hancock in assisting her with her SNAP programs and conducting a partnership for my intern project, which I will go into more detail later in the post. Jessica Bessin, our horticulture agent, has let me help with her children's plant camp making food and teaching them the ways of proper nutrition. And with the Ft. Harrod Beef Festival, we all helped Miss Linda to have another successful year. The Beef Festival was fun and I got to experience a whole new different side to extension. It takes time and dedication to pull off a big festival, such as this one. And at 4-H, I've helped Miss Dana, Deanna, and the other intern, Jess wrangle and educate them about Dairy Foods. 4-H camp was an experience of a lifetime. I had never been to 4-H camp, and I'm glad I got experience for a couple of days, and know what it's like to be a kid again. Sallying to the all hours of the night and to waking up early in the morning to save kids from the pouring rain at outpost, it was an experience that I'm glad I had.

So I'm not only just Luci's intern, I'm the whole office's intern. It feels great to become a part of such a fun, loving office. It's never a dull moment at the Mercer County Extension
 Office. 

As for my intern project, I will be conducting and coordinating a Chef Day camp for two days, where me and Miss Bobbie will teach young teens on the importance of cooking and how to properly cook in the kitchen. I will hope to have some guest speakers to bring inspiration into the youngster's mind. I am very passionate in helping children and teens eat healthier, and by coordinating this camp with Miss Bobbie, I intend to make the camp fun, but also educational.

Thank you!

Denise Schaeffer




No comments:

Post a Comment