Thursday, June 23, 2016

Campers, Cows, and Cloverbuds, Oh My!

In the past few weeks we’ve completed a week at 4-H camp, Teen Conference, cloverbud day camp, and my first livestock show! At camp, I taught JCIT’s how to be effective counselors, lead a camp wide “Bear Hunt”, and even got to experience my baby brothers first year at camp! At Teen conference I got a whole new perspective. After 6 years of only knowing Fashion Review, this year I helped with completely different tracks and workshops. Cloverbuds reminded me how fun a game of “Buggy Simon Says” or weaving your own spiderweb can be. At the livestock show I learned that it was much, much more than just a “cow pageant”. After the rush of 4-H Camp, Teen Conference, and the ever so fast approaching horizon that is Fair week I find myself back in the office getting to work on my summer program.
Growing up in 4-H I focused on completing yearly sewing projects and participating in various leadership clubs. So it only made sense to me to choose a project that could incorporate one of my passions, sewing. When accessing my county’s profile I found a large divide between those who completed high school and those who went on to pursue a higher education. I believe the main cause is the limited knowledge of the many career options. I have chosen a program that will target middle school youth and introduce them to several fields that they may otherwise never experience. Recently, The National Science Foundation worked with Cornell University, The University of Minnesota and National 4-H to create a curriculum program that incorporates STEM education with the world of fashion design. Using the provided curriculum I have been able to plan a fun and educational day for young aspiring designers. They will learn everything from why we use certain fabrics, how pattern making is used to create some of today’s most trendy looks, and how technology and fashion are being combined to develop the future of fashion. This program will take the “Style Engineers” beyond learning how to thread a needle and sew on a button, hopefully sparking their interest in what could become future aspirations.
As a young designer myself, I could only have dreamed of a program like this being offered when I was a 4-Her. Growing up, sewing has always been an integral part of Clark County 4-H. Recently, STEM programs have started to be introduced, with groups like our growing Robotics Club.  Being allowed the opportunity to intern in my home county, I knew I wanted my program to mesh together these two usually separate worlds. After many years of developing my skills in sewing I dreamed of becoming a fashion designer. But I also really enjoyed the technologies and math that went into designing. It was through these two skills I was able to find my dream major that incorporated both design and technologies, Architecture. A background in clothing design helps fuel ones building designs and also increases their understanding of how pieces work together to create an interesting space. An understanding of math and technologies helps one understand the practicality and functionality of a design. I hope that this program will help young designers see their skills as more than a fun weekend hobby, but as a future career.

-Intern Cam 
IMG_2106.JPG IMG_2217.JPGClick for OptionsIMG_2246.JPG

No comments:

Post a Comment