Friday, June 3, 2016

Where Did a Month Go To?

     Today makes 4 full weeks of being an intern at LaRue County Extension Office. Where has the time gone? It feels like just yesterday it was my first day and I was so nervous I changed outfits three times before leaving the house to tackle the thirty minute drive to the office. This past month has been a whirlwind of experiences, all bearing their own valuable lessons.
     From the first day when Misty gave me a calendar with 200 dates on it, I knew I would be learning a lot. Within the first week I had experienced a Cloverbud meeting, district teen meeting, district staff meeting, picking out my intern project, two homemakers meetings, a client protection meeting and Area Rally Day. I was wondering if extension agents ever slept and if I would be getting eight hours of sleep any night this summer. When I really thought about it though, I didn't care if I would be getting eight hours of sleep or not because I was loving every moment of it. The Cloverbuds made me relax the first day and reminded me of how the simplest things can make someone's day. Picking a project and working with teens renewed my passion for agricultural education. The ladies in Homemaker's welcomed me and made me feel at home, taught me how to make some amazing broccoli salad (and they feed the office) and even invited me to attend future meetings. Client Protection, Staff Meeting, and Area Rally Day taught me the importance of preparations, effective communication, and that extension staff is a family. A family that is supportive, always willing to help each other out, and who genuinely love their communities.
     After this first week, things began to fall into more of a pattern and routine. There have been various meetings for camp, individual clubs (like livestock and shooting sports), and more camp that have allowed me insight into several of the details and little factors that I never knew agents had to sort out. There was a day spent with "graduating" fifth graders where we made ice-cream with them and help with their celebration. There have been several phone calls, shopping list, and questions asked in preparation for my project, three day camps to help youth experience some programs that are not normally offered in the county. The list goes on and on; there is always something.
     Four weeks of this twelve week internship are down. Being in a community that is welcoming and supportive is amazing thus far . In the future there are a couple of community service activities with teens, camp, day camps, and state contest; I cannot wait to experience these days with LaRue County 4-H.

No comments:

Post a Comment