Friday, June 24, 2016

Fleming County Extension is a Happening Place

           On the first day of my internship my agent looked at me with a huge smile and said, “I’m so glad you are here, I hope you’re ready to begin!” Sure enough, I was working on a presentation that afternoon and I have not stopped since. I have assisted with multiple nutrition programs, worked with the Fleming County Chamber of Commerce and their programs, lead a class at the senior citizens center, assisted with a youth gardening program, helped quilting students, presented at a high school college readiness fair, worked with the Fleming County Tourism committee and their programs, helped with the preparation of 4H camp, and so much more. It has been wonderful to watch people learning new skills for life through these programs and through the work of those at the Fleming County Extension Office. Furthermore, I have loved that I have had the privilege of being a part of people learning the skills presented in each program.

What I am most excited about was the completion of my project this summer. I found my passion for Family and Consumer Sciences at the Extension Office and I knew I wanted to create an opportunity for others to have the same experience I had. That is why my summer project was a sewing day camp and fashion show. I was so excited that my class filled up after only two days of being posted!  The camp, which I called “Sew Easy” Sewing Camp, was three days long with the fashion show being on the last day. It was open for sewers ages nine through twelve who were beginners, some of which had never even touched a sewing machine before. They chose between pants, shorts, or a skirt for their project and had the opportunity to pick out their own fabric and notions. During the camp the campers learned skills in fabric selection, reading a pattern, using a serger, using a sewing machine, and many other skills essential to completing a sewing project. Watching the campers go from not knowing anything about sewing to sewing on their own was very rewarding. Each student completed their project within the three day period and modeled their garment proudly, some even wearing their creation home.  

I have enjoyed my experience as an intern so far and can hardly wait to help with the Fleming County Fair and 4H Camp! I am also looking forward to all of the new experience I am going to have that I do not even know about yet; you never really know what your day will hold when working in extension.

No comments:

Post a Comment