Thursday, June 23, 2016

Sunmer Intern 2016

I went into this internship not knowing what to expect but full of excitement. So far this internship has been nothing short of an amazing experience and I am overjoyed to be apart of it. Knowing my instructor alittle before my internship I knew that his background was in grain crops and tobacco. Coming from a animal science background I wasn't sure how it would go but I wouldnt have wanted it any other way. I have learned more in the last month and a half about grain crops and tobacco than I could have at a semester of school. Seeing and doing different things than I am used to has changed my whole outlook on agriculture.

Being placed under Clint Hardy you never know what your going to get into from one day planting corn and soybean plots to the next making farm visits to looking at tobacco. If there is one thing I have learned about extension it is there is never a dull moment and you never know what's goin to happen next. Recently we have been helping with wheat yield contest entry's and I had the pleasure of riding in a combine with Phil Needham and picking his brain about various things.

Another great experience was my first 4-H camp. I had never went to 4-H camp as a kid but at 21 years of age I got to experience it. It was nothing short of a great time. Seeing all the kids so exited to get away from home and going to classes to learn about things they are interested in. I wasn't sure how the week there was going to be because I hadn't had much experience with kids before but we had a great group of kids in our cabin and overall a great week.

With the internship comes a project and I had a couple of ideas but they fell through and I wasn't sure what I was going to do until one ride home from a meeting in Lexington me and Clint got to talking and I wanted to do something I knew alittle about so I picked implanting beef cattle. Working with cattle is something I love to do. I got the pleasure to team up with Ben Llyod in doing and implant research study. We implanted around 20 steers and left 10 unimplanted. It's an ongoing study and I am anxious to see the end results later in the summer.

Brett Carper
Daviess County Intern

No comments:

Post a Comment