Thursday, June 23, 2016

Food in Fayette County


As I started my internship over five weeks ago, I did not know what to expect. Many previous interns had told me about everything they did and loved during their internships in other counties. At orientation, we were all warned to have an extra change of clothes in our car and to be flexible with the schedule. My supervisors, Liz Kingsland and Diana Doggett informed me about the different programs that they already had planned for the summer and how I could participate. I had a warm welcome in the office and was immediately able to participate in different areas.

4-H Camp
One of the main events of my summer so far has been attending 4-H camp for the first time as a counselor and leader of the foods class. Along with the other intern in the office, Tiara Fripp, we taught kids from 9-14 how to make smoothies, kale chips, yogurt parfaits and mini pancakes with items that most of them probably already have at home. We encouraged them to try new foods (many were weary of the kale) and most of them really liked the items and gladly took the recipe home. I have also gotten to assist Liz and Diana in food preservation classes and Food for Thought classes. I have learned so much about canning and ways to use other types of food such as Asian greens. One of the other opportunities that I have really enjoyed is working with kids during summer camps at some of free meal locations around Fayette County with the SNAP-Ed and EFNEP assistants. We have been able to educate kids about fruits vegetables, and the importance of physical activity. Recently, I attended a presentation with Diana about Plate It Up! Kentucky Proud and how the ladies of the American Association of University Women (AAUW) can use these recipes in their own kitchens. Outside of the food world, I have been able to assist at Job Club which helps people build their skills and look for new employers. Earlier this week, I was able to judge dolls and toys and needlework at the Bourbon County Fair. I helped at the 33rd Annual Meeting the Challenges and Opportunities of Aging seminar in Lexington and attended a Better Bites workshop with the Tween’s Coalition in which the attendees learned ways of making children’s snacks healthier and how to incorporate more physical activity in their daily lives. I have also been able to attend Grandparents as Parents meetings that are held at our office.

UK Volleyball team volunteered at a
SNAP-Ed event we had at
William Wells Brown Elementary School.  
Throughout the rest of the summer, I have plans to go to 4-H camp again, assist more at Job Club, food preservation and Food for Thought classes, Grandparents as Parents events, etc. I am able to go to the Scott County fair next week in which I will be judging the baking, cakes and candies. Several of us around the office, include the SNAP-Ed and EFNEP assistants, Liz, Diana and myself, also have plans to attend the farmer’s market to give out samples of a dish and recipes to help people see all of the possibilities they have when they buy fresh produce. There is also a cooking camp scheduled in July that I will be assisting with throughout the week. Of course, I can’t forget the Fayette County fair later in July where I will also be judging items and assisting with other things that our agents need. I am looking forward to working more closely to our horticulture and agriculture agents because I am at a loss when it comes to their areas of expertise.
Making strawberry jam!

Although I have had a variety of opportunities this summer, many have revolved around food and what we can do for our community of Lexington in order to provide them with knowledge and the right kind of food. I have looked at the County Profile and as I expected, tobacco and other items such as hay are the most sold crops in Fayette County. However, I didn’t expect that fruits and vegetables are only 4% of the crop sales. I also looked at the Fayette County Schools website and found out that there are over 60 locations around Lexington that offer free meals to children under 18 years of age. I was appalled that there were so many! To get a frame of reference, I looked to Scott County where I am from and learned that there were only 8. There is quite a big size and population difference between the two counties, but the comparison helped to open my eyes as to how much Lexington needed more knowledge about food and the accessibility they have to it, especially fruits and vegetables. Through the knowledge that I have gained about Kentucky Proud products and the Plate It Up! recipes, I want to inform people about how to use fresh produce in a new way that create healthy and appetizing meals. I will be able to assist people of all ages as I continue going to the free meal locations and talking with kids, the cooking camp, my 4-H camp foods class and the farmer’s market. I hope that through my internship this summer, I can encourage more people in Fayette County to use their local crops in their meals. It is not only healthier, but it also helps support our local economy and allows people to have easier access to their local foods. I cannot wait to learn more about food in Fayette County throughout the summer!


No comments:

Post a Comment