Friday, June 24, 2016

So Much to do, So Little Time

Before interning at the Owsley County Extension Office, I never realized what all the agents do. I was here a lot in high school and even after high school. I was a strong member in 4-H and tried to do as much as I could after high school, but I never really put that much thought in what all they do. They are constantly running around and I’m trying my best to keep up. They do so much, I don’t see how they keep it all straight. My planner is never far from my side, programs are constantly getting added. We actually just added a painting class for July. I will be the one teaching and I am so excited. 
While I have been an intern, I have been able to; meet so many wonderful people in and out of the communityparticipate in micro processing training, assist with cooking camp, help with sewing classes, Homemakers’ meetings, Farmer’s Market, Entomology project, Community service projects, nutrition lessons, and so much more. The list could just keep on going. I’ve had so much fun and I have learned so much in a short time being here. 
My project is actually going to be more health and fitness based. Our community is wanting to be more active. I can see a difference since fitness trackers have come out and I want to help the community be even more active. Since we are such a small town, we don’t have a lot of races available. Natasha and Crystal have been wanting to have an annual 5K race, but didn’t really know how to get it started. I guess that’s where I come in. I have been planning a 5K race and 1 mile walk from beginning to end.  I have ran in many road races, but planning it has taken a lot of time. We are calling it The Lightning Bug 5K run/1 Mile Walk. It will be July 8th, and start at 8 P.M. We want it to be around the edge of dark when they finish. It will be a type of glow race. They will be given glow in the darkbracelet/necklace. We are hoping for a good turnout.

No comments:

Post a Comment