Tuesday, June 14, 2016

My Time In Extension This Far

It's almost been a month since I joined the Shelby County Extension office. This overall experience has been a whirlwind.

One day, I could be planning a nutrition class with our FCS agent, and the next day I would be getting licked by a cow at the District 3 Dairy show. I never imagined being in a position where I was free to be who I was ( a city girl) and be exposed to things I would only see on tv or read about. Usually, it is the other way around. I love that I can experience things that aren't typical for everyone. When I first came to Kentucky, I'm not going to lie... I was nervous. I knew nobody from here, I didn't know the area, and I didn't know the people I would be working with. This is one of the biggest leaps of faith I have ever taken. And it was the best decision I have ever made for myself.

This summer, already I have: been to a fair, observed the 4-h judging team in action, served smoothies in the blazing heat to Shelbyville residents at the Serenity Center distribution center, worked with the 4-h sewing club, attended Cooking Matters, a program that focuses on each part of the My Food plate, met countless friendly faces, and got acquainted with the small, but beautiful Shelby county.



Many days of my weeks here as an intern has been preparation for our two biggest events of the summer, the county fair, and 4-H Camp. The other intern Danielle Woods and I are getting to help prepare everything and we are both excited. This will be another experience for me because I get to complete everything like the campers, but also see the behind the scenes action of the wonderful office staff. I have never met individuals with such different backgrounds, and personalities mesh so well. Honestly,this is the most cohesive office I have every worked with. Everyone has their role, and everyone is contributing to the daily operations of the office. So far, this summer has been nothing short of amazing. I am learning every day, and gaining practical experience I can use in my future career.

No comments:

Post a Comment