Tuesday, June 14, 2016

New Places...New Activities...New Experiences!!

As I begin typing this post, I wonder how a month has passed so quickly! Thursday will officially make one month I have been a 4-H intern at the Floyd County Extension Office. Entering this internship, I will admit, I was VERY nervous. Coming from an FFA background and having no 4-H experience other than horses; I didn't know anyone at the office.
"Will I fit in?"
"Will they like me?"
"What am I going to be doing?"
"Who am I kidding?...I have never even been to 4-H camp!!!"

All of this was going through my head before I started at the office, but as soon as I walked in the door on day one, I felt so welcome! I LOVE IT! I love working with the kids for day camps! I have enjoyed watching the teens work together at teen counselor trainings! Also, I am looking forward to going to 4-H camp!

In our day camps throughout the summer, we are teaching the students about bees and different types of honey. While doing so, we are trying to encourage them to think about where their food comes from...not just the super market or out of a box. Thus far, I have had so much fun getting to work with them and watch them taste the different types of honey and see how creative they can be when it comes to describing them.
I have also had the opportunity to go to a middle school one morning and talk to students about different careers in agriculture, as well as what I do at Morehead State University.

This has been an amazing experience up to this point! The UK Cooperative Extension staff have gone above and beyond to try to help me in any way they can with things such as my project, any questions I have had about extension, and so on. I am excited to have some of the Floyd County staff and teen counselors on board with me this Saturday as well, for my special project at the farmers market. I plan to have a small petting zoo and teach the kids about the different animals I bring with me. I will also have a few small games and activities for them to do when they aren't with the animals. We are calling it "Little Farmers Fun Day!" I can't wait to see how it turns out!
I am looking forward to the rest of the summer!!

-Brandi Blackburn

I'll leave you with one of my favorite quotes:

"Courage is being scared to death, but saddling up anyway." -John Wayne

No comments:

Post a Comment