Wednesday, June 8, 2016

Today is going to be the Best, Tomorrow will be even Better!

Rowan County Cooperative Extension, home to many, few and far between. From campers to homemakers leadership and participation are at sky-high records. Within my first day my observations and jam-packed experiences held these comments to be true. 

Entering the internship May 16th, my introduction was not to the office- but to the youth of the county. Reality Stores was an adventure in itself; experiential learning at its finest for both the students and myself. The second part of my day was immersed into the full camp swing, at that point in my journey Rowan County had 152 youth in our little black camp book; now we have 170, Feltner prepare for Eastern Kentucky to take over in just a couple of short weeks! As the day became to wind down I had the pleasure to be in attendance to our district board meeting to discuss what our county is all about! What a day, and better were to come!

Being a 4-H concentrated intern my focus is on making the best better for our local youth. Within the programs I have assisted Raven Ford with, I have observed vast potential leadership within each of the students, which has peaked inspiration for my individual project. Premiere leadership and legacy are the thoughts that came to my mind. With groundbreaking creativity within robotics activities, record high applications for JC / JCIT positions at camp, and numerous leadership based 4-H clubs in the county one relative idea came to mind- professional development.

Within my time here at Rowan County I intend on creating a professional development based day camp and invitational for all ages! Including dressing for success, job interview skills, public speaking, leadership facilitation activities and resume building skills. With these activities and skills I hope to see leadership within the county soar to new heights and prepare students to be college and career ready or for just applying for a junior counselor position at camp next year, each goal will be obtained within the program and tailored to the youths needs.  Which Raven will carry on and improve throughout her years here at Rowan County.

My time thus far has been unimaginable and more than I could have ever hoped for. We are busy, busy bees here and I cannot wait to see what the next few weeks have in store! I hope that each day our adventures as interns take us to new heights in experiences and knowledge. 

As an intern, I pledge: my HEAD to clearer thinking, my HEART to greater loyalty, my HANDS to larger service, my HEALTH to better living, for my club, my community, my country and my world. 
 Until next time!

-Katlynn Brown

  

No comments:

Post a Comment