Monday, June 6, 2016

The Arts In Extension

This summer has already been jam-packed and I’ve only just begun. I’ve taught kids how to make ink out of berries, planted gardens, taught cloverbud sewing, cooked, planned events, and assisted at geology camp, painted quilt boards, and more.


 Unlike many other interns I did not apply for the internship because of my love of agriculture or my desire to become a 4-H agent. I saw a need in my own community and I wanted to do some small part to help. The fine arts are lacking in Grant County. As I grew up in this county there was no place where I could further my artistic abilities or quench my thirst for the arts. I am now going to college for art therapy, and I wanted to help bring back some of what I have learned back to my home community.

It seems like everyday, while I have been an intern, there has been someway that I can use my artistic skills and imagination. From painting a quilt board to designing a presentation, my agent has kept me busy. However my main project has been to organize my own Community Art Project. The Community Art Project was originally modeled after the ‘Horse Mania’ project in Lexington. It is a public art project that incorporates the symbol of Kentucky and local artists. Different artists are asked to decorate a horse in whatever way they wish. The finished products are displayed all over Lexington in public places.

Our projects are going to be made to say ‘thank you’ to the local businesses that have supported Grant County 4-H in the past. The young artists will decorate a small wooden board that will display “4-H” and also represent the business that is assigned to them. Then we will frame it, the finished product saying, “[Name of the Business] supports Grant County 4-H and [the student artist’s name].”

The purpose of this product is to not only thanking the businesses, but also to expand the students creativity and critical thinking skills through research on their assigned business and two dimensional design.

To get started making this project a reality, I first mailed a letter to local business that after talking with Lamar and Carrie I know are very supportive of the Grant County 4-H program. I asked them if they would like to be a part of this project by displaying the finished product in their business. Next, we went out and bought the supplies that we needed, and I made a sample project so the students will be able to see what it will look like when it is complete. We then set a date to meet with the students to hand out supplies and explain the project.


I am excited to move onto the next part of this project: handing it over to the student artists. It will be fun to see their imaginations at work.



No comments:

Post a Comment