Friday, June 10, 2016

The Intern Diaries: Scott County Edition


From day one, my time here at Scott County has been a whirlwind. From farm visits, to project wet training, to the Alltech One conference I feel like I have seen it all in just one short month. However, my full calendar for the remainder of the summer proves that there is still plenty left to experience. I have been lucky enough to learn the following things in my first month:

As a former member of the FFA, I have those five paragraphs of the creed instilled into my brain. During my four years of high school, I recited the creed an unimaginable amount of times. However, I noticed recently never did I truly understand the truth behind those words. The second paragraph starts with, “I believe that to live and work on a good farm, or to be engaged in other agricultural pursuits, is pleasant as well as challenging…” As a non-traditional agriculturalist, my personal experience of farm life and work is close to nonexistent. Oh how quickly that has changed. I am now the proud “mom” of thirty chickens here at our office. Boy, is it work. In my short time here I have; collected my first egg, been flogged by a rooster, become responsible for thirty animals well-being, nursed a wounded rooster back to life, and gone home dirty more times than clean. Lesson learned: agriculture is hard work. But honestly, I wouldn’t change it for anything. I have enjoyed every second of my time with the chickens and am going to be lost when it is time to leave them. Like the creed says, farm life can be pleasant as well as challenging.

Although I am interning in Scott County, I was born and raised in Marshall County, which is located two hundred and fifty eight miles west. (Yes, that is still Kentucky). On my end of the state, grain production is the primary agriculture commodity. We have flat, fertile land that is suitable for many crops. A few cattle operations also exist and horses are mostly owned for leisure. My home is quite perfectly the exact opposite of where I work. Scott County’s agriculture is full of large horse farms, huge cattle operations, and even some poultry houses. Producers come to our office to get their soil tested to replant pasture and alfalfa fields, not grain crops like at home. This is the definition of uncharted waters. There is plenty of learning to be had and I am basking in it. Lesson learned: Kentucky agriculture is very diverse. But how cool is that? Our state has so many facets that I didn’t realize. Cooperative Extension explores every single one of those facets and helps our communities master them.

Looking ahead, I am eager to see what else the coming weeks will bring. This is just the beginning! I still have 4-H Teen Conference and Camp, County Fair, and Camp Sew Fun left to tackle, and those are just the high notes! I’d say so far, this internship is more than I ever imagined it would be and I am thankful for every minute!


1 comment: