Thursday, July 9, 2015

Weeks 4-7

These few weeks have been the busiest. Between doing an interview for the local radio station to 4-H camp I have had a busy schedule.
The radio interview was a great experience and I was able to speak about the great opportunities this internship had to offer. The second week of June we were still actively checking tobacco float beds as most of the farmers were setting their tobacco as quickly as they could. 
We finally got a chance to plant our raised beds with tomatoes, potatoes, peppers, squash, and so much more. Also I helped with our corn test plot. We are comparing populations to yields. 
I have taken many soil samples in my internship but this has been a great experience since I had never done it before. 
Working the farmers market has been a great experience also. I have meet so many great people and had the chance to sample some of the locally grown produce. 
Me and my supervisor, Carol, went to a Weed Id class at Princeton were we learned a great amount about weeds and their resistance to chemicals. This class spoke about how old chemicals are going to be the future of agriculture as more resistance to modern chemicals appears.
4-H Camp was a very different experience for me. I have been to 4-H camp 12 years but this year was my first time at the West Ky 4-H camp. I had always gone to Lake Cumberland Camp which is completely different from West Ky. It was a great time and I enjoyed teaching outdoor cooking. Seeing all the campers having a great time is such a good feeling. Well now im back from camp and have to get back to helping farmers with their problems and needs. Looking forward to what the rest of the summer has in store for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment