Tuesday, July 21, 2015

July


By: Cole Bell

Where should I start?  The last few weeks have been very full.  My second week of 4-h camp was a blast, I really enjoyed helping the kids in Trap Shooting.  The weather was very pleasant and all of our kids had fun.  Then last week we had a chicken BBQ contest for the 4h, I got to eat some good BBQ chicken and I saw some of my campers again from the week before.  The next day was poultry judging, I think the kids really enjoyed getting to hold the chickens, I was also able to get some great footage for my video to showcase 4h programs. That Wednesday was summer in the park, a program that provides school age kids with a meal and fun activities in the park during time that school is out.

Thursday I took some more video footage and began the final editing of my video project.  I was overall very pleased with what I was able to put together, all of the agents and staff seemed to think it was pretty good to, so that was a relief to have that project completed.

Friday I got to do some Family & Consumer Sciences work delivering cooking magazines all over the county.  Then Monday Morning I left for Bowling Green Ky. for Kentucky No-Till and Cover Crop Soil Health Forum.  Five farmers from across the state shared their experiences of growing no till row crops planted in cover crops and the importance of keeping live roots in the ground year round as well as the value of having increased organic matter.

Now I am preparing for my own presentation on cover crops for a Horticulture class held here in Calloway County.  I am preparing some visuals for them to help better understand the benefits for their soil and groundwater.  Later this week is Farm to School Training and then back to Bowling Green for a Livestock Expo.

No comments:

Post a Comment