Thursday, July 16, 2015

The Final Countdown

Tomorrow is my last day in the Jefferson County extension office and I have a mixture of emotions. It has truly been a wonderful summer here in extension. Being a communications intern was a surprise that I wasn't so sure about, but in the end it turned out to be a happy one. I have learned so much; whether it was Hayley teaching me a better way to do something, learning something completely new, or Googling my way through graphic design, my days we're full of lessons that I will use for the rest of my life. I came into extension not knowing much about it. I didn't grow up showing livestock or helping my parents on the farm. But, what I have learned about extension has shown me how much it can be, and how much it is. There are so many ways to use extension, the breadth of the program is incredible. Here in Jefferson County, our extension looks a little different from the rest of Kentucky, and the learning curve I was on because of that has prepared me for the future in ways that I can't imagine. I still am figuring out what I want to do with my life, but the experiences I have had here have helped me to shape a better idea of what I do and don't want out of a career.

In the past two weeks I have been so busy. I went to the 4-H State Horse Show, and let me tell you it was an experience. I grew up riding horses and I love being around them, but I grew up riding a discipline that is very controlled. I helped during one of the western days, and oh my goodness it is not very controlled. I watched some of those very small children, take off at a full gallop and maneuver through those poles and I tried not to fear for their lives. For most of the day I was a pole cat, which is the person that goes and resets the poles when they are knocked down, so I was in the arena and had a front seat to the action. There is nothing like watching a horse weave through 6 poles twice, that makes you realize how much can happen in 20 seconds. I also finished my intern video and special project. My special project was a communication plan that targeted extension interns. Let me tell you, it was a doozy. I worked on that thing forever, Hayley read it and helped fill it out, and then I worked on it some more. It was one of the most challenging strategic plans I have ever written, but it's finished and I am pretty happy with how it turned out.

So here comes goodbye, I suppose. I was so lucky to have had this opportunity. I have grown in ways that are so valuable to me and I have carved out a special place in my heart for this office and the work it does. I was lucky that I had a great supervisor, worked with some great agents and had a great experience. Maybe Cooperative Extension is in the cards for me, maybe it isn't, but for right now Cooperative Extension was perfect. I don't think I could have asked for much more.

No comments:

Post a Comment