Friday, July 17, 2015

June was National Dairy Month!

Wow June flew by!
These past weeks have been amazing. I traveled to Shelby County to judge fair entries with my FCS agent, Chris Duncan. I sampled so many cakes, cookies, and breads that I felt like I was going to pop! I can only imagine what the state fair is going to be like. Besides the delicious food items, I also judged handmade clothing and canning jars. When judging handmade clothing, it is important to pay special attention to the stitching and overall craftsmanship of the article. Entries ranged from youth to adult. I was highly impressed by the youth entries.
Later that week I made my monthly visit to Dare To Care. Since June was National Dairy Month, our presentation focused on cheese. We made a delectable benedictine spread. Now, I’ve lived in Kentucky for 13 years and I had no idea this southern dish existed! This recipe called for cucumbers, cream cheese, and chopped onions. I enjoyed making and presenting this recipe. It’s a great summer time dish and pairs well with crackers or toast. Each recipe is a Kentucky Proud recipe that focuses on homegrown goods and they are wallet-friendly. Dare to Care will always have a place in heart. Serving low-income families has made a difference in my life because I know that I’ve made a difference in theirs.  Participants range from children to the elderly. Hearing the sounds of appreciation of everyone is enough to make you grin from ear to ear. Without cooperative Extension, Dare To Care wouldn’t be as popular as it is now.
The following week our 4-H Agent, Kelly Woods, hosted a rocket-building workshop for children and teens. This was fascinating to say the least. Most of the kids I me at this workshop attended 4-H camp the following week. Oldham County hosted its weeklong 4-H camp at Lake Cumberland. The ride there was about 4 ½ hours, but I enjoyed my time on the bus with the campers so much that I didn’t even notice. Although it stormed the entire week, the campers had a great time and I enjoyed playing in the rain. My role at 4-H camp was the photographer and I helped with an outdoor cooking class. We made pioneer meat pies over a campfire! First, we boiled the rice then we cooked the meat in a skillet, and then we mixed the two together and folded it into the dough. After that, we cooked the pies in the skillet until they were brown on eat side.

I swear I learn something new everyday!

No comments:

Post a Comment