Monday, July 20, 2015

Life As A Double Agent: Part 3

            These last two weeks have been the most eventful weeks of the whole internship. A few simple words will tell you why... 4H Camp. This past week was my first week, ever, of 4H camp. I never went as a camper, CIT or teen, but I was thrown right in as an adult teaching a class. Needless to say, I had no idea what to expect! But camp doesn't just magically appear. We did a tremendous amount of preparation for that week. The part I was mostly involved in was all the trainings and meetings with the campers, teens and adults that took place before we could even get on the buses to head to Western KY. Many of these took place the week before camp.
           The week before camp was very eventful, in fact, before the week was even over I was already exhausted. I had to go to numerous trainings, prep for an abstract art class and pick up all the supplies needed for the class, find rainy day activities, pack (which really meant, find a fan) and try to get rested up for the week to come all at the same time. I was thrown right in the middle of everything having no idea at all what to expect. After a weekend of rest I ventured out in to the great unknown.
          My first day at camp was an experience, it was a high of 97 degrees. It was by far one of the hottest days of the summer and I got to hang out outside all day. I was super sweaty, but I had a great day getting to know everyone and getting settled in. Later that day I persuaded as many kids as I could to take my abstract art class and I ended up having a pretty good turn out. The second day of camp was super cool because I finally got to teach my first abstract art class. We talked about what abstract art is and some famous painters and paintings. After that we made tape paintings. We put down the tape to make different shapes and painted in the shapes. Then when we took off the tape it looked super cool! All of these turned out wonderful and the campers really seemed to enjoy it. The third day we made drop paint paintings. In this we took paint and made drops on the canvas and then blended them together. These were very cool because everyones looked completely different and that was fine because it was abstract art. The fourth day I attempted to make name art. This was the most difficult and complicated piece of art that we did. We wrote our name on a piece of paper, then cut it up in to squares and pieced it back together to make many different lines and shapes. This was difficult because the campers did not understand that they had to cut up all the paper. The classes were still a blast and I think the campers enjoyed it! The last day was sad because the campers and staff were not ready to leave. They had so much fun that they were ready to go another round. My first experience at 4H camp was a wonderful one! I enjoyed it and I think it is a wonderful opportunity for children and that everyone should definitely give it a try!

No comments:

Post a Comment