Friday, July 24, 2015

Kids in the Kitchen, Snakes in the Office

I'm almost to the final week in the office (next week) and then I will finish my time here in Boone County at the county fair the week of August 1st-8th. All of the agents and staff have been busy preparing for fair- classes have been going non-stop, fair projects are laying in the hallway, and campers are still calling about lost and found items!

Over the last two weeks I have helped with several events and accompanied agents on many of their errands. Last week was one of the biggest classes we have had here at the office: Kids in the Kitchen. This class offered youth the opportunity to create some tasty and healthy snacks. There were around 30 kids in each of two classes, and each class received the chance to visit around eight different stations to make different foods. Things such as fruit kabobs, yogurt parfaits, smoothies, and bagel pizzas were some of the favorites. On the second day of the class, I was able to do a game station (it gave the kids a chance to have a little fun and take a break from all the cooking and eating). We played the sticky note game in which I wrote a noun on the note and attached it to their foreheads, and each player had to ask questions to figure out what their note had on it. They really enjoyed it and some even came back for a second round.

Our environmental agent brought his pet snake to the office for one of his classes, and it quickly became an educational opportunity for those of us here working. He got "Steve" out and handled him, and we were able to pet the snake and ask Rex (the agent) questions before he went off to his class. I do have to say though that I won't be upset if "Steve the snake" doesn't make a return appearance to the office.

This week I have gone on several farm visits with one of the 4-H agents. We were traveling to check up on the projects of some of the 4-H'ers before the fair in a couple of weeks. It was a really good experience to get to see how some of the youth raise their projects and what they do to prepare for the fair.

As the fair draws closer and my time here in Boone county begins to wane down, I look forward to every opportunity and task that I may be presented with- as long as it's not Steve the snake.

No comments:

Post a Comment