Monday, July 6, 2015

Busy, Busy, Busy

These past few weeks have flown by with all the things happening in the Breathitt County Extension office! We have definitely been on the go. I have had so many great experiences already and can not wait to see what the rest of my internship has in store for me.

 2015 Teen Conference Delegates 
Since my last blog post, we have taken two delegates and one State Teen Council member to Teen Conference where I got to discuss my internship with other interns and see how the programs differ from county to county. It was interesting to hear about the experiences they've had and give each other advice. Going to different events such as 4-H camp and Teen Conference as an intern, I have gotten to see things from the other side of the fence. I had always went as a delegate or teen but once you go as an intern or agent, you quickly realize how much more responsibility and liability there is.

Enjoying OMK Camp in the beautiful Robinson Forest!
 I have also gotten to work with Olivia Bryant who is the part-time Owsley County, part-time Breathitt County intern. We spent an entire week preparing materials for the Operation Military Kids camp located in Robinson Forest. It was a weekend camp dedicated to making a stress free environment for military service men and women and their families. We went and bought supplies, made templates for the crafts so that campers would have an example to go by, and prepared kits for each of the families that were coming.


Judging Estill County Fair Projects

When I wasn't working on OMK Camp or at Conference I got to help out a little in Estill County. We were asked by the Estill County 4-H agent to come and help judge the 4-H county fair projects. They had over 900 entries total submitted. I got to look at all of the woodworking and craft entries. They had several projects going on the the Kentucky State Fair this August. I've already had several opportunities to see what a job in Extension requires and I can't wait to learn more.

No comments:

Post a Comment