Thursday, July 28, 2016

Wrapping it Up in Fleming County



                I cannot believe that the end of the has come summer and my that my time at the Fleming County Extension Office is coming to a close. I feel like I have accomplished so much this summer and at the same time I feel like there is so much more that I want to do, twelve weeks just is not enough time. Since my last blog I attended 4-H Camp, helped with the Fleming County Farmers’ Market, the Tasty Tuesday Program, The Veggies Make “Cents” Program, and the Community Passport Adventure Camp.

     I had a great time at 4-H camp, like I do every summer. The kids are so excited that it makes me excited for them all week long. This summer I taught a Home Spa class, this class taught campers how to make their very own Spa items. These items included lip balm, scrubs, soaps, and many more. During this week I also learned a lot professionally, there was a lot of behind the scenes work that goes into making camp happen and it was nice to help with and learn about that side of things. 

                The Fleming County Farmers Market is held twice a week at the Fleming County Extension Office. It was amazing getting to talk to local farmers and learn about what they do in preparation for their sell. I was also neat to see what different types of good are produced in Fleming County. The Farmers’ Market also overlaps with the Tasty Tuesday Program and The Veggies Make “Cents” Program. The Tasty Tuesday Program uses vegetables from the Fleming County Farmers’ Market and Plate It Up recipes to create samples for individuals to taste at the Farmers’ Market. The samples are made earlier in the day at the Veggies Make “Cents” Program where youth between the ages of 9 and 12 not only prepare the Plate It Up recipe but have a discussion on how to shop healthy in an affordable way. The kids are also the ones who serve the samples to the community at   
the Farmers’ Market. Additionally, Fleming County community members have sponsored the Veggies Make “Cents” Program which provides the youth with five dollar “veggie bucks” to use at the Farmers’ market. This program not only provided an opportunity for youth and adult communication but also educates the community on easy ways to eat healthy.

          I also helped plan and implement Community Passport Adventure Camp in Fleming County. The camp was a four day event for ages nine through twelve. The camp had a different focus each day within the theme “Explore Fleming County.” The days were Fleming County Government, Fleming County Safety, Fleming County Wellness, and Fleming County History. On government day campers were given a tour of the justice center, court house, and the mayor’s office. They also were able to meet county officials and ask questions. During safety day campers were able to tour the fire department and various police stations, they were also given the chance to ride in a police car and fire engine. Wellness day gave the kids and opportunity to learn games they could play outdoors at the park in Fleming County, how to fish, and how to cook healthy outdoors. The final day was Fleming County history, on this day the campers spent the day exploring the Fleming County Covered Bridge Museum and learned about the history of the county. Throughout the camp the kids carried a Fleming County Passport with them that they had signed and stamped by county officials. 
These are only a few of the activities and events have been given the privilege to help with for the last part of the summer. Other activities and events include Super Star Chef Camp, Senior citizens’ nutrition class, The Fleming County Fair, 4-H Cooking Camp, The Fleming County Food Pantry, Style Engineer Day Camp, and planning for the Back to School Gala. I will also be attending the Paraprofessional Day on my last day at the Fleming County Extension Office.
         I am very grateful that I was given the amazing opportunity to be an intern this summer. It was everything I expected and so much more. I found a passion for working with and for the community this summer and I am sad to say good bye for now to the youth and adults I now consider part of my extension family. You never really know what the day will hold for you when you walk into the Extension Office or who you will meet and I love that! I had a passion for family and consumer sciences at the beginning of the summer and now I am leaving with a passion for extension and the communities we serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment