Friday, July 22, 2016

Wrapping It Up



Learning how to
 pressure can green beans.
Giving sample of the Big Blue Muffin
at the Farmer's Market.
In the past month, I have added a few things to my list of experiences for this summer! I was able to attend the Farmer’s Market twice and gave out samples of the Big Blue Muffin and the Blackberry Peach Crumble recipes as well as the recipes to both of those items. We also wrapped up our June program at Bryan Station High School on a rather sweet note with ice cream in a bag. The FCS agents and I also held a pressure canning class in which we taught and practiced how to can green beans in a safe way. In the middle of July, we spent a week with 8 awesome kids at the office as the SNAP-Ed and EFNEP assistants held a cooking camp. I was able to assist them all week and get to know the kids. They were eager to learn about food and loved picking ingredients such as potatoes and blackberries from the garden to use in their recipes each day. It was also an opportunity for the whole office to come together and teach a lesson about their area. We made aprons, learned about bugs, composting and grill safety, just to name a few. All of these activities have helped me gain more of an understanding as to why the people of Fayette County need to understand where their food comes from and how they can use it. Unrelated to my food frenzy project, I have been able to help at the Bluegrass Fair at the cattle and hog shows this past week, have had more opportunities to sit in on Job Club and I have one more round of 4-H camp the first week of August!

Leslie, a SNAP-Ed assistant
explaining measuring to the
 kids at our cooking camp.


I have learned so much this summer that I will use in my career and throughout my life. My project has opened my eyes to the various kinds of people and class levels in Fayette County. I have been able to help people learn about healthy eating and physical activity in nearly all of the food-centered programs I have assisted with this summer. I have enjoyed my time with the SNAP-Ed and EFNEP assistants and the kids that they serve. I did not have very much experience teaching kids younger than high school age before my internship, but now I am very confident in teaching them even more so than adults. As my internship comes to an end within the next couple weeks, I am thankful that I have had this amazing opportunity.  

No comments:

Post a Comment