Wednesday, July 20, 2016

It's Only the Beginning

There is always the one dreaded question that EVERYONE asks when you are in college..."What are you going to do when you finish school?" Before I began this internship, I had extension in mind, but I wasn't 100 percent sure if that was the career for me. With only two and a half weeks left, I now don't have a doubt in my mind!
This summer has been full of new experiences for me. I was new to the 4-H world starting out, but now, I would love to be a 4-H agent! From attending Feltner 4-H camp for the first time, to helping with multiple day camps, to even hosting a petting zoo for my own special project, I have loved every minute of it. I was also able to help with our fellow intern, Bre Howell's, summer project, using Lego Mindstorm EV3 Robots...THIS was definitely a new experience that I learned a lot from!

Since I brought it up and haven't really said much about it, I will tell you a little bit about my summer project. I had the opportunity to host a small petting zoo at the local farmers market here in Floyd County and teach the kids about the animals. Once they finished with the petting zoo, they were able to plant a flower and take it home with them. I had a total of 90 people attend, not counting adult and teen volunteers. According to the farmers market director, it was the "second largest" day as far as money made up to that point. I had so much fun working with the kids and talking to them about the things I love most. My major is animal science, so I wanted to focus on something that I enjoyed, as well as keep it 4-H oriented by focusing on the kids!
This summer has been an amazing learning experience for me! I have learned the ins and outs of 4-H and parts of ANR Extension, which is what I was hoping to do. I have worked with children of all ages and stepped outside of my comfort zone to grow as a leader. Thank you 4-H and thank you UK Cooperative Extension!! I can't wait to see how this will shape my future!




-Brandi Blackburn
4-H Intern

No comments:

Post a Comment