Sunday, July 17, 2016

The Close of Summer

At the beginning of the summer I was not so sure about extension. I couldn't understand the concept behind it, I didn't quite understand what it was that they did. But as time has passed and the summer is almost to a close, I now understand what extension is really about. Some of the people that you meet through extension are truly a blessing and they cannot be replaced. You learn so many new things and new ways to do things. I have met a ton of people in my community and I have learned a lot about my community. There are so many people that I didn't know held such high positions in our community. Extension is a great place to get your feet in the door and use as a stepping stool, It allows you to work your way up and achieve more.
I have enjoyed this summer. I was able to assist with the McCracken County fair. I helped with the
4-H entries as well as the horticulture entries. This was my first time helping our horticulture agent so I wasn't sure what to expect. The master gardeners brought in their plants for judging then a few days later they switched their plants with floral arrangements to be judged. It was amazing to see the designs they came up with. It looked just like something from a store. I think my favorite thing has been the summer programs with the kids. I love going each time and the kids make it so enjoyable. They are always so lighthearted and make it fun to be around them. If you are having a bad day and then you see them it changes your complete mood. They get so excited when they see the 4-H agents coming.
I am excited that I was able to complete my summer project and that the kids had fun while participating in it. I did an educational family feud with middle school age children at the boys and girls club.

No comments:

Post a Comment